Open and Themed Competitions
Competition images must have been photographed by the member and must be the member’s original work. External processing of images, e.g. printing by a third party, is acceptable.
For the purposes of these rules, image refers to a processed photograph, whether submitted in print or Projected Digital Image (PDI) form.
- Prints should be mounted on a material and colour of the photographer’s choice.
- A mount size of 20″ by 16″ on either black, ivory or white material is recommended for all competition prints.
- Prints conforming to the above recommendation will be given preference in selections for external displays and competitions.
- The minimum mount size is 10” x 8” and the maximum is 20” x 16”.
- Prints should be clearly labelled with a title and the author’s name at top left of the print, viewed from the back.
- Competition entries for prints must be entered using PhotoEntry with an image representing the print as a placeholder.
- PDIs should have a maximum resolution of 1920 pixels width and 1200 pixels height.
- PDIs should be JPEG files with the author’s choice of compression.
- Competition entries for PDI’s must be entered using PhotoEntry.
Resubmitted Images: Images that win a first prize in an Open or Themed competition may not be resubmitted to the same competition. They may be submitted to other competitions subject to the relevant rules. Just to be clear, an Open 1st prize winning image may not be resubmitted to any further Open competition, but it may be submitted to a League Themed competition for which it is otherwise eligible – and vice versa.
Images that HAVE NOT won an Open first prize may be submitted a total of two times in Open competitions– either twice as a print or twice as a PDI or once as a print and once as a PDI.
Images that HAVE NOT won a Themed first prize may be submitted a total of three times in Themed competitions – either three times as a print or three times as a PDI or a mix of print and PDI.
Reworked Images: A member may submit a substantial reworking of a previously submitted image as though it was a new image. The reworking may, for example, be in response to a judge’s comments. We’re sure members will use this provision responsibly; the chairman’s decision will be final if a reworking is not thought to be substantial, or if a member is making unreasonable use of this provision. If in doubt, please ask before you submit a reworked image.
A member may submit up to three images in each round of each League Competition. This allows a member to submit a maximum of 3 prints and 3 PDIs on any league competition evening.
Late entries will not be accepted.
The prints themselves should be brought to the venue on the competition date.
The preferred method of print entry notification and PDI submission is by the use of PhotoEntry.
Competition League – Scoring and Prizes
In each round of each competition the scores are as follows:
A member’s best score in each individual competition round is added to the member’s Competition League score, giving a maximum score per round of 10 points for a member who wins both Open and Themed competitions and a maximum score of 2 points for a member who enters both competitions and is not placed or highly commended.
The Competition League runs from January to December.
There are three Competition League prizes, awarded at the Annual Dinner :
- Highest total Open score
- Highest total Themed score
- Highest overall total score – the Competition League winner
New Image Challenge Rules
Members should enter 4 JPEG images with the author’s choice of compression. To qualify, images must:
Be no more than 12 months old.
Not have been previously entered for club league competitions or a New Image Challenge.
Images entered in this competition may not be used in any subsequent New Image Challenge.
There are no restrictions regarding use of images submitted to the New Image Challenge in other club competitions, so long as the images conform to the rules of that competition.
The preferred method of submission is by ‘PhotoEntry’
Images’ maximum and minimum dimensions should be no more than 1920 and 1200 pixels, respectively.
Images must be submitted no later than the Friday prior to the competition.
The images will be judged in random order and marked out of 20.
The entrant with the highest total score will be declared the winner.
The winner will be awarded the ‘Peter Harvey Trophy’ for the duration of the club year.